A new era begins in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, which not only welcomes in the Thirteenth Doctor, Jodie Whittaker, but also new editor, Marcus Hearn.
In her exclusive interview, she says:
“Chris [Chibnall, new showrunner] wouldn’t have cast me as the Doctor because he wanted me to repeat anything that had gone before. And I think as a fan you don’t want to watch something that’s an imitation of something that’s gone before. Or what would be the point of recasting?”
It’s a shame that she has to defend herself straight away, but is it necessary? I guess we’ll see…
Also in this issue:
- Casting Jodie: DWM asks what the arrival of Jodie Whittaker means for the future of Doctor Who.
- Monsters Inc.: We go inside the workshop of Millennium FX, with previously unseen designs and photographs from the making of the 2017 series.
- Now We Are Six-Hundred: Former showrunner, Russell T Davies talks about his illustrations for BBC Books’ collection of Doctor Who
- I Am (Not) Bill Potts: Nicholas Briggs reveals the secrets of giving voice to the Mondasian Cybermen.
- Hank Marvin?!: Legendary Shadows guitarist, Hank Marvin discusses his surprising links to the Doctor Who
- The Aztecs: Take a fresh look at the 1964 classic, The Aztecs in The Fact of Fiction.
- Trevor Baxter: We pay tribute to the late Trevor Baxter, who played Professor Litefoot in 1977’s The Talons of Weng-Chiang, with contributions from Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Christopher Benjamin, Lisa Bowerman, and more…
- The Parliament of Fear: A brand-new comic strip adventure continues for the Twelfth Doctor and Bill Potts.
- Trail of a Time Lord: An exclusive extract from Red, White and Who, the forthcoming book about the history of the series in the United States.
PLUS! Previews, book and audio reviews, news, the Watcher’s column, prize-winning competitions, and much, much more.
Doctor Who Magazine #516 is on sale now, priced £5.99.