The latest issue of The Essential Doctor Who, a bookazine from the makers of Doctor Who Magazine, is out now – and it’s about time! No, really, it is.
The Essential Doctor Who: Time Travels focuses on the timey-wimey, which seems pretty appropriate with Steven Moffat’s final regular episode to air at Christmas, the showrunner having leaned on that particular trope of the show perhaps more than any other.
This 116-page magazine includes guides to time-travelling stories such as The Ark, Mawdryn Undead, Father’s Day, A Christmas Carol, and Listen, and also features:
- Frankenstein vs the Daleks: a look at Terry Nation’s first draft of The Chase, the First Doctor story which saw the Daleks following the TARDIS through time and space!
- Original Evil: David Whitaker’s story treatment for The Evil of the Daleks, intended to be the final serial starring the Daleks.
- The Gamble With Time: The complex pre-production of the Fourth Doctor story, City of Death, the tale written by Douglas Adams.
- Creating Angels: A visit to the churchyard that helped to inspire the Weeping Angels.
- River’s Run: Unravelling the complex chronology of River Song’s relationship with the Doctor.
Editor, Marcus Hearn says:
“This is a fresh take on a vast and potentially challenging subject. Everyone in this issue has done a great job, coming up with new facts and theories about stories I thought I knew inside out. If you’ve ever wanted to know more about the Blinovitch Limitation Effect or the Bootstrap Paradox, then look no further!”
The bookazine also includes exclusive interviews and numerous rare pictures.
The Essential Doctor Who: Time Travel is on sale now at all good newsagents, priced £9.99.