How has digital technology transformed Doctor Who? The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine explores that question, as ably demonstrated by the cover, which sees Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor changing into a Weeping Angel, something that happened at the cliffhanger of Flux: Village of the Angels.
This issue charts the history of digital effects in Doctor Who from the 1970s to the most recent episodes.
- Dave Bannister and Andrew Robertson from VFX company DNEG describe their contributions to Flux.
- Digital matte artist Jim McCarthy discusses his work on Doctor Who in the 1980s.
- Interviews with the people who brought us some of the first Doctor Who computer games.
- The second installment of a two-part feature in which Ray Holman explains the background to his costume designs for Series 13.
- An interview with Frances White, who played Cassandra in 1965’s The Myth Makers.
- Composer Segun Akinola discusses the musical juxtaposition of romance and Daleks in the New Year’s Day special, Eve of the Daleks.
- Tributes to renowned Target cover artist Chris Achilléos, who died on 6th December, and writer Bob Baker, who died away on 2nd November.
- The Fact of Fiction revisits 2010’s The Beast Below.
- Public Image analyses the ratings for Flux.
- The Doctor Who Magazine Christmas Quiz answers.
PLUS: Previews, reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, and more.
DWM #573 is on sale now, priced £5.99 (UK), or £4.99 as a digital magazine from pocketmags.com.