The latest Special Edition from Doctor Who Magazine is a must-have instalment, exploring the much-loved Target books range, novelisations of TV adventures and beyond!
They’re one of the most cherished things in the Doctor Who world, giving fans the chance to relive serials at a time when they weren’t otherwise commercially available and adding further depth to characters and scenarios.
From the early 1970s to the early ’90s, it’s estimated that Target sold over 8 million novelisations and other Doctor Who books. It’s an incredible achievement.
The new DWM Special Edition is the inside story of a legendary imprint, from its rise and fall to its triumphant revival in 2018.
Highlights include numerous rare images and exclusive interviews with the key players, including:
- Chris Achilleos (cover artist for The Auton Invasion, The Zarbi, The Doomsday Weapon, etc)
- Jeff Cummins (cover artist for The Mutants, The Horror of Fang Rock, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, etc)
- Peter Darvill-Evans (Target Books editor from 1989)
- Terrance Dicks (the most prolific author of Target books)
- Anthony Dry (cover artist for City of Death, Rose, The Day of the Doctor etc)
- John Peel (author of the novelisations of The Chase, The Power of the Daleks, The Evil of the Daleks etc)
- Marc Platt (author of the Battlefield and Ghost Light novelisations)
- Nigel Robinson (Target Books editor from 1984 to 1987)
- Andrew Skilleter (cover artist for The Gunfighters, The Abominable Snowmen, The Stones of Blood etc)
- Alan Willow (artist who provided internal illustrations for The Cybermen, Terror of the Autons, The Sea-Devils etc)
Other highlights include:
- Extracts from two unpublished manuscripts
- The untold story of Doctor Who Discovers, based on the archive of author, Fred Newman
- Details of foreign editions
- The Companions of Doctor Who series
- Interviews with collectors who own original Target Books artwork
- An afterword from Pete McTighe, the writer of the 2018 story, Kerblam!
The DWM Special Edition: Target Books is on sale now.