Tom Baker’s third season as the Fourth Doctor will be released on Blu-ray in April as Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 14 – a fact we know plenty of people will be over the moon about. This season includes a number of fan-favourite serials, including The Deadly Assassin, The Robots of Death, and The Talons of Weng-Chiang (which remains much-loved by much of fandom, despite certain folk telling the rest that we’re all horribly racist for enjoying a story).
The season features the departure of Sarah Jane Smith, as played by Elisabeth Sladen, and the introduction of Leela (Louise Jameson), as well as the only Classic Who serial not to star a companion.
Due to be released on Monday 20th April 2020 (likely May because these things are always delayed at least a fortnight), the Blu-ray includes:
- The Masque of Mandragora
- The Hand of Fear
- The Deadly Assassin
- The Face of Evil
- The Robots of Death
- The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The series guest stars Tim Pigott-Smith, Stephen Thorne, Peter Pratt, Pamela Salem, David Collings, Christopher Benjamin, Trevor Baxter, and many more.
Check out the new teaser trailer:
All episodes are newly remastered from the best available sources.
This Blu-ray box set also contains extensive and exclusive special features which include:
- Immersive 5.1 surround sound – The Deadly Assassin
- Brand new audio commentaries – Tom Baker and Matthew Sweet on selected episodes of The Face of Evil and The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
- Behind the Sofa – New episodes with Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Philip Hinchcliffe, plus companions Sophie Aldred and Peter Purves.
- Our Sarah Jane – Elisabeth Sladen Tribute – A feature-length look at the life and career of Sarah Jane Smith, played by Elisabeth Sladen.
- Whose Doctor Who Revisited – Toby Hadoke meets the producers and grown-up stars of the very first Who Documentary.
- In Conversation – Matthew Sweet chats to producer Philip Hinchcliffe.
- Blu-Ray trailer – Louise Jameson has trouble with her new home assistant (as above).
- Brand new interviews
- Rare archive material
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
The 8-disc box set also includes hours of extensive special features previously released on DVD.
In our review of Season 14, we found religion to be a key theme of the episodes:
“We have an interesting microcosm for faith in The Face of Evil: the Sevateem and Tesh have their respective takes on essentially the same “text” – that of Xoanon, their sometimes-God, sometimes-Evil One, and they use their own interpretations to exclude. It’s not a symbolic exclusion either: there are actual barriers and illusions designed to keep people, people with essentially the same origin, apart. Importantly, both tribes fear what’s on the other side. The only way these boundaries are overcome is through confrontation, bravery (in travelling into the wilderness and through a giant rendering), and disillusionment, notably in Neeva’s (David Garfield) case.”
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 14 is due for release on 20th April 2020, with an RRP of £56.16.