The animations of missing Doctor Who stories continues after a brief hiatus with the Second Doctor story, The Underwater Menace!
The original 1967 master recordings of all except episodes two and three of The Underwater Menace were lost soon after the programme’s original transmission. However, audio-only recordings of the missing two episodes have survived and have been used to create a brand new fully animated presentation.
The two-disc box set contains the fourth series story as well as special features. Alongside Troughton, this classic tale stars Anneke Wills as Polly, Michael Craze as Ben, and Frazer Hines as Jamie McCrimmon.
Here’s the synopsis:
The Doctor and his friends find themselves in the lost city of Atlantis, where the crazed Professor Zaroff has convinced the people of Atlantis that he can raise their sunken city from beneath the sea. However, the Doctor discovers a terrible secret behind Zaroff’s plan – a secret that could destroy all life on Earth. As the countdown commences to the end of the world, can the Doctor defeat the underwater menace?
All episodes have been animated in colour and black and white whilst including original film elements.
DISC ONE (Main Feature)
- Episodes 1-4 – Animation – Colour
- Episodes 1-4 – Animation – Black and White
DISC TWO (Special Features)
- Episode 1 – Reconstruction
- Episodes 2 & 3 – Original 1967 Episode
- Episode 4 – Reconstruction
- A Fishy Tale – Making of Documentary
- Australian Censor Clips
- The Man from Miditz
- Frazer Hines Introduction for episode 2 as per the original VHS release
- BBC News Report (South Today)
- BBC Radio Solent Piece (audio only)
- Photo Gallery
- Animation Gallery
- PDF material including camera script
The Underwater Menace will be available from November 2023, but you can pre-order now!