Beware the deadly Varga plants! Because the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine takes a look at the remake of the missing one-part tale, Mission to the Unknown, which ties into the 12-part epic, The Daleks’ Master Plan.
The DWC previously reported that students at The University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) were recreating the story, joined by Nick Briggs as the voice of the Daleks, plus Peter Purves (Steven Taylor), and Edward de Souza, who played Space Security Agent Marc Cory.
We’re not sure how – or indeed if – the remake will ever be commercially available, but with DWM seemingly endorsing the production, there’s a very good chance we’ll get to enjoy it! In our review of the original, we said that “the episode is a triumph, heightened by the fact that no one is coming to save them.”
This issue of DWM also includes:
- What does it take to become a Stenza warrior? Actor Samuel Oatley explains.
- An interview with the man behind the new version of Mission to the Unknown.
- Colin Baker and the cast of The Ultimate Adventure look back on the Doctor Who stage play.
- Backstage with Colin Baker at Leeds’ Grand Theatre in 1989.
- War World – an in-depth look at the script originally intended for the 1989 stage production.
- Cyber Leader David Banks dips into the TARDIS tin.
- Tributes to the king of Doctor Who extras Pat Gorman and visual effects designer Richard Gregory.
- Former script editor Andrew Cartmel remembers Happiness Patrol writer Graeme Curry.
- A preview of this year’s Record Store Day releases.
- Part Three of Herald of Madness, a new comic strip adventure featuring the Thirteenth Doctor and her friends.
- How to dress like the First Doctor – along with his friends and foes.
- Does the 1996 TV movie impress the Time Team?
PLUS: The Blogs of Doom, audio reviews, previews, news, prize-winning competitions, and more!
DWM #537 is on sale now, priced £5.99.