The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine is available now and includes an interview with the Ninth Doctor actor, Christopher Eccleston as he prepares to come back to the Doctor Who universe in Big Finish’s upcoming boxsets.
This is his first interview with DWM in 16 years!
In the Doctor Who Companion‘s exclusive interview with Eccleston, he said:
“[The Doctor] carried the guilt of the survivor and the scars of that. I think that was essential to the first series; I think that’s why they needed me – because I could bring some of that. And all the actors before me could bring that; it’s just that because it’d be quiet for so long, I think it needed a little bit of weight and credibility in a sense. And I’d done a lot of that with things like Our Friends in the North and Cracker and [playing] Derek Bentley [in] Let Him Have It, Shallow Grave… So that was useful.”
Highlights of the new DWM include:
- Former showrunner Steven Moffat on writing for the Ninth Doctor.
- A preview of Ravagers, the new boxset of audio adventures starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor.
- Jonathan Morris explores the gaps in our knowledge of the Ninth Doctor – where could new adventures take place in his timeline?
- Collectivity celebrates the merchandise released in 2005 after Doctor Who’s revival.
- DWM tracks down some of the real soldiers who formed part of UNIT in the 1960s and ’70s.
- Members of the Doctor Who Restoration Team reveal the secrets of making old episodes look better than ever for their release on Blu-ray.
- Apocrypha remembers BBC Books’ 2005 novel The Monsters Inside.
- The Fact of Fiction looks back at 2005’s Father’s Day.
- Reviews of the Season 8 Blu-ray box set and the new Target novelisations
- Sufficient Data crunches Doctor Who’s numbers.
PLUS: Previews and reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, and more.
Doctor Who Magazine #563 is on sale now, priced £5.99.