The latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine is all sorts of cool because it comes with a free book, Doctor Who Discovers Pirates, in the style of those published by Target Books in 1977 and 1978!
Doctor Who Discovers Pirates is a previously unpublished entry in the 1970s’ Doctor Who Discovers book range, presented in full for the first time ever as a 52-page supplement, with new cover by Jeff Cummins.
This ties into the upcoming transmission of the Doctor Who Easter special, Legend of the Sea Devils; as such, the issue also features 15-page preview of the story, featuring contributions from Chris Chibnall, Crystal Yu, Marlowe Chan-Reeves, and Arthur Lee. Plus there are exclusive interviews with Legend of the Sea Devils co-writer Ella Road and director Haolu Wang, and a guide to the special’s costumes by the ever-talented Ray Holman!
DWM #576 further includes a stunning poster to show off Cummins’ work, and a download code for a complete full-cast audio adventure from Big Finish, starring Catherine Tate as Donna Noble.
Also inside, you’ll find:
- Graeme Garden, Rufus Hound, and Gemma Whelan share their experiences of playing the Meddling Monk — in a feature written by a friend of the DWC, Barnaby Eaton-Jones.
- Katy Manning pays tribute to her much-missed friend, Stewart Bevan.
- Artist Jeff Cummins discusses his cover illustrations for Target Books and the New Adventures, tying into Candy Jar Books’ The Invisible Artist.
- Previously unpublished photographs from the set of 1964’s The Keys of Marinus.
- A look back on the life and work of the late Henry Lincoln, co-writer of The Abominable Snowmen, The Web of Fear, and The Dominators.
- Collectivity meets Doctor Who’s comic-book collectors.
- The Fact of Fiction looks at 2017’s Smile.
- The third part of Hydra’s Gate, a new comic-strip story for the Doctor, Yaz, and Dan.
PLUS: Previews, reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, Sufficient Data, and more!
It’s an all-round great issue, frankly.
Doctor Who Magazine #576 is on sale now, priced £9.99 (in the UK).