It’s Free Comic Book Day, and this year, Titan Comics is giving us the very first comic book appearance of Jodie Whittaker’s Thirteenth Doctor!
Once a year, on 5th May, selected stores celebrate the medium by giving away free comic books – specific ones, however; you can’t just rock up at a shop and empty the shelves. No, publishers create special FCBD issues to give away, and this year’s offering from Titan features the Seventh, Tenth, Eleventh, and Thirteenth Doctors, as played on TV by Sylvester McCoy, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Jodie Whittaker. Here’s the synopsis:
Join the Doctor on May 5 for a free and new-reader-friendly tour through the Doctor’s many incarnations, packed with action, heart, and adventure, and tales that tease 2018’s epic journey!
- CATCH A FALLING STAR: Artist and dreamer Gabby Gonzalez has long travelled with the Tenth Doctor, but her latest adventure may be her last – unless the Doctor can break every law of time!
- THE ARMAGEDDON GAMBIT: The Seventh Doctor and Ace test their mettle against a planetary invasion! Leads into the new Seventh Doctor series, Operation Volcano, launching in June!
- MIDNIGHT FEAST: The Eleventh Doctor follows his Time Lord tastebuds into an all-night diner, for madcap meals and unorthodox diplomacy!
- A complete reader’s guide to the Doctor Who comics collections!
- The first appearance in Titan Comics by the Thirteenth Doctor, written and drawn by her new creative team!
The comic is written by Nick Abadzis, John Freeman, George Mann, and Jody Houser, with art by Giorgia Sposito, Arianna Florean, Christopher Jones, Mariano Laclaustra, and Rachael Stott.
The standard comic comes with a photo cover, but anyone visiting Forbidden Planet gets a special companion-centric cover by Simon Myers.
Don’t forget to support your local independent comic store as well – and please don’t go mad with free comics. While consumers get them with no charge, shops have to pay publishers for them. Essentially, they act as loss leaders. So yes, comic shops lose out on the cash, not the big publishers. It’s pretty disgusting, really.
Further issues available on FCBD include two from Marvel (one with Avengers/ Captain America; the other with Spider-Man/ Guardians of the Galaxy), 2000AD, a Pokemon comic from Viz Media, and a Disney Princess Spotlight on Ariel. Check out the full listings on the FCBD site.