The final classic season of Doctor Who will be released on Blu-ray as part of The Collection, a range of sets including complete upscaled seasons. Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26, starring Sylvester McCoy’s Seventh Doctor, will be released on 23rd December 2019 (if it’s not delayed…).
Season 26 features four epic adventures traversing a future Britain invaded by inter-dimensional knights, a strange Victorian house haunted by ghosts from Ace’s past, an alien world populated by Cheetah People, and a 1940s army camp under siege from monstrous vampires.
With guest stars including Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, and Anthony Ainley as the Master, the run also stars Jean Marsh, Nicholas Parsons, Anne Reid, Ian Hogg, Sylvia Syms, and comedy duo Hale & Pace.
Aside from the main serials, here’s what’s included:
Rare Restored Extended Cuts
- The Curse Of Fenric VHS Extended Version
- The Curse Of Fenric DVD Special Edition
- Battlefield VHS Extended Version
- Battlefield DVD Special Edition
5.1 surround sound & isolated scores
- On all 14 broadcast episodes, plus 5.1 sound on all extended versions of The Curse Of Fenric and Battlefield.
Behind the Sofa
- New episodes with Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, plus companions Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton, Anneke Wills and Jodie-Whittaker-era writers, Pete McTighe and Joy Wilkinson.
Showman – the Life of John Nathan-Turner
- A feature-length look at the life and career of Doctor Who’s longest-serving producer, who fought to keep the programme on-air during the 1980s. Contributors include Peter Davison and Colin Baker.
Making The Curse of Fenric
- A brand new documentary featuring Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred, Tomek Bork, Nicholas Parsons, Cory Pulman, Marek Anton, Ian Briggs, Andrew Cartmel, Mark Ayres and Ian Collins featuring unseen behind-the-scenes footage and photographs.
- Matthew Sweet chats to companion Sophie Aldred.
The Writers’ Room
- Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt, Ian Briggs, Rona Munro and Andrew Cartmel discuss their work on Season 26.
Becoming The Destroyer
- Actor Marek Anton and prosthetics designer Stephen Mansfield recall the creation of one of Doctor Who’s best ever monsters.
- Sophie Aldred back in character as Ace.
- Brand new Ghost Light extended workprint
- Unseen studio footage
- Rare archive treats
- Convention footage
- HD photo galleries
- Scripts, costume designs, rare BBC production files
and other gems from our PDF archive
And lots more!
Can’t wait until December? The BFI Southbank in London will be screening The Curse of Fenric (from the Special Edition Blu-ray) and holding a Q&A with actor Sophie Aldred and script editor Andrew Cartmel on Saturday 23rd November. Tickets are available from the BFI on the following dates:
- Monday 16th September – BFI Patrons and Champions
- Tuesday 17th September – BFI Members
- Tuesday 24th September – public booking
Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 26 is out on 23rd December 2019.