Candy Jar Books has announced a new anthology title to bring together strands from across the Lethbridge-Stewart range, plus the second Lethbridge-Stewart Short Story Competition.
The HAVOC Files: Loose Ends will feature various regular characters seen through the original sixteen-book run of Lethbridge-Stewart, including such popular characters as Bill Bishop, Harold Chorley, Owain Lethbridge-Stewart, Dylan Lethbridge-Stewart, Rhys Rubery, Samson Ware and, of course, the lead characters, Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart and Anne Travers.
It’s written by range editor, Andy Frankham-Allen, who explains:
“Once it became clear we were bringing our ongoing narrative to a close in the beginning of 2018, Shaun and I discussed what to do with the dangling plot threads, and character arcs that never got fully resolved. And answer some questions the readers don’t even know they have! We decided the best way to address some of the key moments was to release a collection of short stories. And The HAVOC Files: Loose Ends is the result!”
The HAVOC Files: Loose Ends will be, initially, only available in limited edition and is up for pre-order now.
Candy Jar is also reprinting a short-run of The HAVOC Files 2. In our review, we said:
“Topped off with a gorgeous cover by Adrian Salmon (my favourite so far of the range, in fact) that neatly captures many of the stories inside, this is as damn near perfect a collection of short stories as you’re going to get.”
You can order a copy from Candy Jar here.
And following the success of the first Lethbridge-Stewart Short Story Competition, Candy Jar has announced a follow-up competition, open to previously unpublished writers (although this time it will be open to those both in and outside the UK).
Head of Publishing, Shaun Russell, says:
“We had a great response when we announced the Short Story Collection and because of its success I am very excited to be doing it all over again. This time we want to give other characters a chance in the spotlight. What about Anne, Bill, or even newly created characters from our Lethbridge-Stewart spin-off, The Lucy Wilson Mysteries? With this collection we are giving fans the chance to really explore, and I can’t wait to see what response we get!”
“This time Shaun and I will be running the competition, casting our expert eyes over the entries. And as the stories will exist outside of the canon of our ranges, we encourage all contenders to embrace their creativity and take our characters into entirely unexpected areas. As long as they are true to the characters depicted in our ranges, you can put them into almost any situation. The only true limit is the imagination!”
The winning entry will receive a Kindle Fire and Lethbridge-Stewart or The Lucy Wilson Mysteries publishing deal. All shortlisted entries will be published in The Lethbridge-Stewart Short Story Collection Vol 2.
The winner of the first short story competition was announced earlier this year as Sean Alexander from Holyhead, North Wales with his story, Boys Don’t Cry. Following the competition, Sean is now working with Andy Frankham-Allen on a new Lethbridge-Stewart novel for the 2019/2020 range.
The entry fee is £5. Enter here, but read on to learn more first!
Please include: Your name, age, email, address and telephone number.
Submissions can be entered now, until the end of November 2018.
Submission guidelines for the Lethbridge-Stewart South Wales Short Story Competition:
- Maximum of 3000 words.
- This competition is open to anybody who has never been published before, whether you’re a fan of Doctor Who and Lethbridge-Stewart or not. We’re looking for stories that utilise any character from the Lethbridge-Stewart and The Lucy Wilson Mysteries range of books. It is not necessary to fit within the timeline; these stories are out of the canon of the series, so feel free to let your imagination run wild!
- A selection of free short stories will be sent to any applicant on request, should you need to see our characters in action.
- Our license is with the Haisman Literary Estate only, therefore you CAN use any character from the Doctor Who serials, The Abominable Snowmen, The Web of Fear, and The Dominators, or any original character found Candy Jar Books’ Lethbridge-Stewart and The Lucy Wilson Mysteries series (except characters from Doctor Who that appeared in the ranges under express permission).
- You can NOT use any other Doctor Who characters or monsters.
- You can NOT use UNIT or any associated characters.
- Any entries that feature a Doctor Who character not owned by the Haisman Literary Estate will be instantly disqualified, with no refund.
Good luck to all who enter!