Ncuti Gatwa gets his first Doctor Who Magazine cover today, in the latest issue, which features a behind-the-scenes exclusive on his casting.
No, this isn’t the classic “… is the Doctor” cover; that generally comes after a regeneration. For now, Jodie Whittaker is still the current Doctor. Nonetheless, Gatwa gets his first cover, with a photo taken at the BAFTA event which he and showrunner, Russell T Davies, attended on the day Ncuti was announced.
Here’s what’s inside the latest DWM:
- An exclusive from Russell T Davies, Doctor Who’s incoming showrunner, on the casting of Ncuti Gatwa.
- The story of Ncuti Gatwa’s life and career to date.
- A 1991 interview with Gordon Flemyng, director of the 1960s Dalek movies, published in full for the first time.
- Jill Curzon, who played Louise in Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D., answers questions from the TARDIS tin.
- Assistant director Anthony Waye recalls working on Dr. Who and the Daleks and Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
- Inside the 4K restoration process for the Dalek movies.
- CGI recreations of the Dalek city from Dr. Who and the Daleks, revealing how the Shepperton Studios sets were put together.
- Exclusive previews and disc breakdowns of the forthcoming Doctor Who: The Collection – Season 22 Blu-ray box set and the Blu-ray/UHD Blu-ray releases of the Dalek movies.
- Ruth Madeley talks about playing Hebe Harrison, the new companion in the Sixth Doctor’s audio adventures.
- The Fact of Fiction reveals the hidden secrets of Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 A.D.
- Dr. Who & The Mechonoids, a brand-new comic strip adventure for Dr Who and his granddaughter, Susan.
- Apocrypha revisits Doomcloud, the first Doctor Who adventure that was told twice!
PLUS: Previews, reviews, news, prize-winning competitions, Time and Space Visualiser, Sufficient Data, and more.
Dr. Who & The Mechonoids sounds like a particular treat. And how great to see an issue basically devoted to the often-overlooked Peter Cushing movies!
Doctor Who Magazine #578 is on sale now, priced £6.99 (in the UK).